August 01, 2012

FR 311R Conversation

I had a long talk the other day with my host family mother about breast feeding, the cultural aspects, and the health benefits for the child and the mother. She has a 15 month old baby who she still regularly nurses. She nursed her 3 year old until the baby was 19 months old. I assumed this was typical of most French mothers, but she told me that when she was at a wedding a few weeks ago, she nursed her baby and everyone stared at her like it was inappropriate. As she was recounting the story, her rebuttal was to me was, "Well haven't they ever been to the beach? If they've ever been to the beach then they've seen breasts and if my baby wants "tétée," I'm not going to tell him no.
It surprised me that people stared. I always assumed that the French were way open about their bodies in this way, just like they are at the beach, at their medical exams, in their children's books, etc. However apparently I was mistaken. She said nursing comes in and out of fashion, and now it's becoming more "à la mode" than it was with the generation before hers. Her mother nursed her and her siblings, but that was rare for the time period; her husband's mother is disgusted by the idea. Many of her friends have "tried" nursing their babies, but gave up after a couple of weeks. She, however, continues to diligently pump milk every night and freezes it in little jars. Then when I'm babysitting and expected to give him a bottle, he couldn't be less interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment